A ‘Boundary Stone’ at Tattenhall is located on Bolesworth Road (South Side), set into the roadside wall. Probably late 18th Century in date, it comprises a rectangular ashlar red sandstone block, divided by a vertical line which has a well-cut and seriffed ‘B’ (for Broxton) to the left and a ‘T’ (for Tattenhall) to the right. The ‘Boundary Stone’ is listed by English Heritage with ‘Grade II’ classification.
‘The 1885 Boundary Walk’ is comprehensively covered in Kenneth Senar’s book ‘Saint Alban’s – Our Parish Church in Tattenhall’ which was published in 2008 and which is still available from ‘The Friends of Saint Alban’s Church Building’. It would appear that there were three occasions historically during which parishioners (and others) walked the boundaries of the village namely 1820, 1868 and 1885 and that such ‘Perambulations’ were over a two day period. In 1885, for example, the ‘Perambulation’ took place over the two days of May 11th and 12th during which the weather was Minuted as ‘very favourable’, and during which ’54 persons’ were involved (several of whom were ‘Ladies’ who accompanied the ‘Perambulators’).
The days comprised a series of prayers, luncheon and tea but that during the ‘Perambulations’ (1885), individuals crossed pits in tubs; went through the parlours of varying individuals, walked over the roof of a ‘lean-to’, crawled through culverts (under the railway) and that individuals took the wrong path ‘… after a false start through the field at the back of the cottage instead of up the old bridle path …’. Presumably fun was had by all.
Whilst it is still sufficiently difficult to locate the Boundary Stone on Bolesworth Road because of the grassed verge and with today’s passing traffic (there being no pavement or pathway in this area), the Minutes of the 1885 event state that ‘… the line of the boundary is somewhat vague owing to changes in the hedges … that one boundary stone had been overturned and half buried (seemingly they cleaned the stone and set it up straight) … and that another boundary stone was not to be found …’.
The image used on this Webpage is attributed below: