Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel, Tattenhall
The former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel stands on the corner of Wood Lane and Tattenhall Lane. It was built in 1851 and has subsequently been converted into a private residence. ‘Ebenezer’ was a common designation for Non-Conformist Chapels, taking the name from the First Book of Samuel, Chapter 7, Verse 12, where Samuel put down a stone saying ‘The Lord has helped us up to here’ – ‘Ebenezer’ meaning a stone of help.
Interestingly too, several stone tablets are set within the base of the building, each of these bearing the name of benefactors who presumably had contributed to the costs of building the Chapel.
In White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cheshire 1860, the Primitive Methodist Chapel (below) is described as a ‘small stone building, which will hold about 150 persons’.
There is a further reference to the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel in the London Gazette of 7 April 1903.
In this respect, the Superintendent Registrar recorded that ‘a separate building be duly certified for religious worship (named PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH) situated at Tattenhall Lanes, in the civil parish of Tattenhall, in the County of Chester, in Chester Registration District’. This certification took place on 3 April 1903, the separate building being registered for ‘solemnizing marriages’ and ‘substituting the building named Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel, situated at Tattenhall Lanes, now disused’.