‘Times Past’, High Street, Tattenhall
This page on the Website provides a ‘visual’ flavour of ‘times past’ (click on images to enlarge).
The image below gives a view of the High Street, complete with early motor cars and a trap. The woman seated in the trap is believed to be Mrs Becket from Huxley Hall. Of significance is the petrol pump located on the High Street (on the right, outside of what is now ‘Nisa’). The ‘Letters Inn’ can be seen quite clearly (on the right and immediately in front of the trap), as can the sign of the ‘Bear and Ragged Staff’ on the opposite side of the High Street. The village school appears to have both a weather vane and school bell. It is equally interesting to see the cobbles and all the railings on the High Street.
A further image which is of huge significance is of ‘The Hunt’ coming down Burwardsley Road onto the High Street (below). This postcard was actually posted in 1908 so we can presume that this image dates from 1908 or, in fact, earlier. The cobbles are long since gone, as is the street lamp outside of the former home of George Ashton (currently No 2 Rosebank). Note also the sign on the side of the building.
The postcard below is dated 1909 and is of a ‘Ladies Procession’, probably held during Wakes Weeks. A highlight of the year for many Cheshire villages, it was customary for each parish to hold their Wakes nearest to the date of their Patron Saint’s dedication – in the case of Tattenhall this would have been 22 June, the Feast Day of St Alban. The procession below is making its way down Church Bank and onto the High Street. Boys from the Tattenhall Home for Boys can be seen in the lower right hand corner of the image. They are wearing their caps and uniforms and they have a ‘grandstand’ view of the proceedings. Reverend Robert Welby Colston, who was Rector from 1903-1937, can be seen quite clearly at the front of the procession (following a brass band).
This unique contribution of 3 postcards has been provided by a local enthusiast who wishes to retain her anonymity.