Artefacts

Included within this section of the Website are images which provide a glimpse of ‘times past’. If you wish to contribute an item to this ‘gallery’ then please contact us using the toolbar facility above. We hope you enjoy viewing the artefacts (should you wish to view an enlarged image then simply double click on each artefact).

Victorian Christening Mug …

Victorian Christening Mug ‘Frances Darrack’ Tattenhall 1852

Particular thanks to ‘J.O Emms Antiques of Tattenhall’ for granting permission to reproduce this image on our Website. If you wish to view other items in their collection, then click the ‘J.O Emms Antiques of Tattenhall’ link.

Victorian Christening Mug together with earlier Jug …

Another piece of wonderful ‘local history’. The Frances Darrack ‘Christening Mug’ of 1852 is shown together with an earlier jug, also of ‘local significance’ – ‘Jasper and Sarah Brentner, Bates Mill, Cheshire, 1794′. It was felt that Bates Mill, near the Shady Oak, was sufficiently close geographically to feature these precious pieces together and in any event they are now in Tattenhall.

Particular thanks to ‘J.O Emms Antiques of Tattenhall’ for granting permission to reproduce this image on our Website. If you wish to view other items in their collection, then click the ‘J.O Emms Antiques of Tattenhall’ link.

Glazed Stoneware Bottle …

Glazed Stoneware Bottle - The 'Jones' Family were an integral part of Tattenhall life, their businesses being located at the Aldersey Arms Hotel and at Tattenhall Road Coal Wharf

Glazed Stoneware Bottle – The ‘Jones’ Family were an integral part of Tattenhall life, their businesses being located at the Aldersey Arms Hotel and at Tattenhall Road Coal Wharf

The former ‘Aldersey Arms Hotel’ is a large red-brick building located on Tattenhall Road. It lies almost adjacent to the local canal and former rail infrastructure. William Jones was, amongst other things, a ‘Coal, Coke, Lime and Salt Merchant’, his premises being located at the Wharfage area adjacent to the old Tattenhall Road Railway Station. The dimensions of the above glazed stoneware bottle are: 25.5cms (height) and 14.5cms (diameter). On the final day of trading, this glazed stoneware bottle was given to the Bigland Family by ‘Michael Jones’ – particular thanks to the Bigland Family for allowing the reproduction of this image on the Website.

W Jones Beer Bottle(s), also from the ‘Aldersey Arms’ …

xxxxx

Vintage Green Glass Beer Bottle & Stopper, W Jones,  ‘Aldersey Arms’, Tattenhall Road

xxx

Selection of Vintage Green Glass Beer Bottles local to W Jones, Aldersey Arms, Tattenhall Road, Tattenhall

The above selection of vintage green glass beer bottles (in both pint and half pint sizes) are highly collectable. These refer to W Jones, Aldersey Arms, Tattenhall Road. Our thanks to John Stoneley for allowing us to photograph the half pint bottles, in particular, for the Website.

Westminster Challenge Cup (dated 1907) …

Westminster Challenge Cup (originally the Rifle Club Trophy and more recently the Billiard Challenge Cup)

Westminster Challenge Cup (originally the Rifle Club Trophy and more recently the Billiard Challenge Cup)

This impressive silver Tattenhall trophy was presented by His Grace The Duke of Westminster, Lord Lieutenant of The County of Chester, in respect of an annual competition among members. It is dated 15 November 1907. On the termination of the ‘Rifle Club’, His Grace presented this Challenge Cup to the Barbour Institute, Tattenhall. It was re-designated and to be held (in the future) by the winner of The Billiard Handicap. There are 22 winners’ names etched on this trophy, the first being ‘Wm J Allsop in 1908′ and the last being ‘J Stoneley in 1959′. 

Rifle Cup Winners: 1908 Wm J Allsop, 1909 GV Mullock sec., 1910 Geo M Corbell, 1911 GV Mullock sec., 1912 J Roscoe, 1913 GW Butcher, 1914 GW Butcher 

Billiard Handicap Cup Winners: 1923 Frank Pritchard, 1924 Frank Pritchard, 1925 Frank Pritchard, 1927 J Stoneley, 1928 J Leech, 1929 J Leech, 1930 GM Corbett, 1931 EH Stockton, 1932 Stoneley, 1933 W Bond, 1934 A Wilding, 1935 R Walker, 1936 LN Jones, 1958 R Mellor, 1959 J Stoneley. 

Huntington and Tattenhall Angling Challenge Cup …

xxxxxx

Huntington and Tattenhall Angling Challenge Cup

Another piece of silverware within the village, unseen for the last 80 years! The 5 shields running around the base date from 1928-1932 inclusive. The winners were as follows: Tattenhall (1928), Tattenhall (1929), Tattenhall (1930), Rake and Pikel AS Huntington (1931), Tattenhall (1932). If anyone has any details relating to this competition, please contact us using the Toolbar.

Standard Emblem of the Independent Order of Oddfellows …

xxxx

Standard emblem of the Independent Order of Oddfellows (a society which had a 164 year history within Tattenhall)

In Tattenhall, the local Lodge (branch) was known as the ‘Crallan’ Lodge and was part of the ‘Independent Order of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity Friendly Society’. Oddfellows wore blue silk sashes with a silver braid trim and fringe. Particular thanks to a local enthusiast who provided the original blue silk sash, complete with ‘emblem’, and to Jude Lloyd-Johnson for photographing this precious artefact. Click ‘Tattenhall Oddfellows’ to be directed to this section of the Website where the significance of the ‘emblem’ is also described in full.

Flat Axe – Early Bronze Age …

xxx

Small Bronze Flat Axe

The above Flat Axe which dates from the Early Bronze Age (c2500-1500BC), is completely smooth and tapered at one end. It was found in 1938 by Dr TWL Moreton amongst a heap of bones at the Tattenhall Road Boneworks. The authenticity of provenance, therefore, is uncertain.

Bronze Age Palstave …

Socketed Palstave with Trident Decoration

Socketed Palstave with Trident Decoration

The socketed ‘Palstave’ with a trident decoration (shown above) is from the Middle Bronze Age period and was found in a field close to Tattenhall. A ‘Palstave’ is a type of early bronze axe. This artefact was gifted to the Grosvenor Museum by Bolesworth Estate. The Museum considers that the ‘Palstave’ might possibly be part of the ‘Broxton Hoard’ (c1400-1275BC). Particular thanks to both The Grosvenor Museum and to Bolesworth Estate for allowing us to reproduce this image on the Website. 

Bronze Age Spearhead …

Basal looped Spearhead

Basal-looped Spearhead

The above ‘Basal-looped Spearhead’, found in a field close to Tattenhall, is from the Middle Bronze Age and is also likely to be part of the ‘Broxton Hoard’. The ‘Spearhead’ is leaf-shaped, socketed and has loops at the base of the ‘Spearhead’ which were probably used for fixing the ‘Spearhead’ to the haft/handle. A triangular central rib can be identified. Although the casting lines are not visible along the sides, it is likely that casting would have been the method of production. Like the ‘Palstave’, this item has been gifted to The Grosvenor Museum by Bolesworth Estate. Particular thanks to both parties for allowing us to reproduce this image on the Website. 

Memorial Plaque – The Great War 1914-1918 …

Memorial Plaque - The Great War 1914-1918

Memorial Plaque – The Great War 1914-1918

Memorial Plaques were issued to the next-of-kin after The Great War, were cast in bronze gunmetal and were known as the ‘Dead Man’s Penny’ or ‘Widow’s Penny’. Over 1.3m Memorial Plaques were issued, using a total of 450 tonnes of bronze. The Plaque includes Britannia, classically robed and helmeted, supporting a trident by her right side and her right arm. In Britannia’s left outstretched hand is a laurel wreath crown above a rectangular tablet on which appears the name of the deceased. No rank is shown since there was to be no distinction in death. The words ‘HE DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR’ appear around the edge of the Plaque. In the foreground a male lion stands facing right, originally described as ‘striding forward in a menacing attitude’. Two dolphins encircle Britannia, representative of British sea-power. In symbolic confrontation, a further lion pounces on an eagle; a reference to the desired destruction of Germany. The designer was ‘E Carter Preston’ and his initials were also embossed on the Plaque (lower right section).

At the time of placing this image on the Website, there are only 2 Memorial Plaques that have been made known to us in relation to ‘Tattenhall Lads’ – one relates to Arthur Dutton (the Plaque having been so polished that it is impossible to read his name) and the Plaque shown above which relates to Lieutentant Arthur Dell Brodbelt. Arthur Dell Brodbelt’s brother, Guy Brodbelt, also died in the The Great War and family members are currently trying to locate his Memorial Plaque so that this can also be housed on the Website. Particular thanks to relatives of both Private Arthur Dutton and Lieutenant Arthur Dell Brodbelt for allowing us to reproduce these images on the Website.

Silver Inkwell – Tattenhall Ladies Rifle Club …  

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Silver Inkwell of the ‘Tattenhall Ladies Rifle Club’ dated 1911-12 and presented by Mrs Tilney. The trophy was presented to SB Jackson (just visible on the base of the Inkwell).

It is believed that the venue for this event was a long wooden building which was located at the side of the Barbour Institute. The ‘Tilney Family’ feature elsewhere on the Website, the family having lived at Millbank and a son of whom was killed in The Great War. Particular thanks to Mrs Betty Simpson (nee Proudlove) daughter of the recipient, for allowing us to reproduce this image on the Website.

Fire Plate … 

One of the three known surviving Fire Plates within Tattenhall and its immediate District

All the known ‘Fire Plates’ in our village relate to the ‘Royal’ Insurance Company. Embossing the ‘Fire Plates’ with  recognisable emblems provided a perfect advertising opportunity to the insurer. In the case of the ‘Royal’, the emblem was the ‘Liver Bird’. Particular thanks to the Smith family for allowing us to reproduce this image on the Website. Click ‘Fire Plates’ to be directed to this section of the Website.

Roman Coin found in the foundations of The Park School, March 1970 …

xxxxxxxxxx

Roman Coin found and presented by Nicola Reynolds from the foundations of The Park School, March 1970

The Archaeological Report on this find reads as follows: ‘Denarius struck during the joint rule of Marcus Aurelius Verus (known as Antoninus) and Lucius Verus (161-180AD)’. The design is a ‘restitution’ of a coin of Marcus Antonius to commemorate the Battle of Actium. The Coin is held at The Park School and is framed. Only ‘Side 2′ of the Coin appears above, therefore, but the full Archaeological Report reveals that on ‘Side 1′ of the Coin, a galley with rowers and standard at the prow are shown, whilst on ‘Side 2′ (above), are shown the eagle and badges of the Legion (Leg VI, Antoninvs Et Vervs Avg Rest).

Tattenhall Bottles …

Tattenhall

Tattenhall Bottles – AT Vaughan, Wine and Spirit Merchant

Bottle collecting has become a hobby for some and old bottles in a variety of colours, shapes and types can be found in most local areas. Particular thanks to ‘Colin’, a former landlord of ‘The Sportsmans Arms’ Public House on the High Street, for allowing us to take this image of ’10 Green Tattenhall Bottles’ which gives a further glimpse of ‘times past’.

Original Signage relating to Sportsmans Arms Public House, High Street, Tattenhall …

xxx

Original Artwork in relation to previous signage of Sportsmans Arms, Tattenhall

Particular thanks again to ‘Colin’ (former landlord of ‘The Sportsmans Arms’ Public House) in providing the above artwork. The sign relating to this image is long since gone but provides a lasting memory for many ‘locals’.

Cricket Trophy (dated 1938) …

xxx

Trophy awarded to Les Pritchard on the occasion of Tattenhall CC v Tarporley CC, during which ‘Les Pritchard’ achieved a Hat Trick, May 7th 1938

Whilst it is not our intention to place every known trophy on the Website, this trophy is thought to be unique in that it was awarded to Les Pritchard in May 1938 in acknowledgement of his ‘Hat Trick’ i.e. achieving 3 wickets in 3 consecutive balls. Its inclusion on the site, therefore, provides an opportunity for many individuals within the community to have sight of a trophy which was awarded by the Tattenhall Cricket Club some 75 years ago. Click the ‘Les Pritchard’ link to read the full story. Particular thanks to the McLaren family who granted permission for this item to be included on the Local History Website. 

Commemorative Diamond Jubilee Coin 2012 …

xxx

The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Commemorative Coin 2012

Whilst not quite an ‘Artefact’, it was felt appropriate to include an image of the ‘commemorative coin’ in this section of the Website.The Tattenhall and District Parish Council, together with the Bolesworth Estate, issued each child under the age of 16 and living within the Parish, a commemorative Jubilee Coin on the occasion of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee, June 2012. Both sides of the coin are shown above and feature the official Diamond Jubilee logo as designed by Katherine Dewar and the ‘sword’ of the ‘Tatnalle Family’ from whom it is believed our village took its name (this sword is also featured on the Tattenhall Village Sign).

Comments are closed.