Ernest Stubbs was the son of James and Sarah Ann Stubbs of Newton, Tattenhall. According to the 1911 Census, Ernest was a General Labourer at a Brick Works (presumably in Tattenhall), whilst his father, James Stubbs, was a Plate-layer on the Railways. At the time of the 1911 Census, Ernest was 17 years of age. Also living at home was his older sister, Annie Stubbs (19), who was a Dressmaker.
Ernest Stubbs originally signed up as a Private (41062) with The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) and later transferred to 992nd Area Employment Company Labour Corps as a Lance Corporal (41797).
He died just 17 days before the Armistice, aged 25 years.
He is buried approximately 44 kilometres west of Arras at Fillievres British Cemetery, France.
When Private Ernest Stubbs transferred to a Labour Corps Area Employment Company he would have been involved in salvage work, often within range of enemy guns. In France and Flanders the Army was able to use some railways, steam engines and tracked vehicles for haulage but labour was always required in building and maintaining the huge network of roads, railways, canals, buildings, camps, stores, dumps, telegraph and telephone systems and for moving stores.
These Labour Corps Area Employment Companies were usually manned by officers and other ranks who had been medically rated below the ‘A1’ condition for front line service. The Corps often suffered the indignity of being rated a ‘second class’ organisation: for example, men who died are commemorated under their original Regiment, with Labour Corps being secondary. This is exactly the case with Private Ernest Stubbs who is commemorated under his original Regiment, The King’s, with the Labour Corps being secondary.
Private ERNEST STUBBS
The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)
transferred to (Lance Corporal 41797) 992nd Area Employment Company Labour Corps
Died 25 October 1918
Son of James and Sarah Stubbs of Newton, Tattenhall, Cheshire
Remembered with honour
FILLIEVRES BRITISH CEMETERY, FRANCE
This cemetery was established in the summer of 1918 by the 46th Casualty Clearing Station and was later used by the 6th Stationary Hospital. British soldiers buried in Churchyards nearby were brought to this Cemetery. There are 81 Commonwealth burials at this location and because it was established at a Casualty Clearing Station and near to a Stationary Hospital, nearly all of the soldiers have known graves.