Robert Oliver Orton JP and his father before him, lived at ‘Bank House’, Chester Road, Tattenhall. This building is now known as ‘The Rookery’ and was substantially reconstructed by the Wignall family of the Tate and Lyle Company. The house is a Grade II listed building.
From Kelly’s Directory 1878, it would seem that Robert Oliver Orton JP served at Broxton Petty Sessional Division and was also an Alderman of Cheshire County Council. He was also a Churchwarden at St Alban’s Church for a number of years. The Orton family graves are immediately adjacent to the Wignall Gates in St Alban’s Churchyard.
Bank House (the Orton family home) is shown below:
Robert Oliver Orton is best known in the village for his pamphlet entitled ‘Tattenhall – A sketch of the village of that name, near Chester’. This was published in 1908 by his daughter, Dorothy Mary Orton, following the death of her father and gives a valuable insight into village life, oral traditions and the local history of Tattenhall at the end of the 19th century (click on the image to the right to read the entire pamphlet).