Tattenhall Hall

‘Tattenhall Hall’ is located on the High Street in Tattenhall, beyond the War Memorial. It is a Grade II listed building and was built in the early 17th Century for Sir Richard Bostock, the family of whom had held an estate in Tattenhall in the reign of Henry V. Documentary evidence supports the view that the house, described as ‘a fair house of all brick’, was constructed before 1622, making it an early and complete example of a Cheshire brick building. Interestingly, upon Richard Bostock’s death in 1630, the most expensive items listed in his ‘Will and Testament and Inventory’ relate to the collection of ‘linens’.

By 1666 the Hall came into the ownership of Sir J Bradshaw of Chester and by 1810 it had become a farmhouse. In Francis White’s ‘History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cheshire’ dated 1860, the following entry appears:

‘The Hall, now a farm residence, is a commodious brick edifice, with gables and bay windows. It contains a handsome suite of rooms, and is considered to be the most complete and convenient farm house in the County. It is occupied by Mr George Jackson. In 1858 the Hall underwent a complete restoration at the expense of Mr Robert Barbour, Esq., who purchased the estate in 1856. Near the Hall is a steam corn-mill, erected at the time of the restoration for the use of Mr Jackson. The engine is of 10-horse power.’

By the beginning of the 20th Century, the Cooke family were resident at the Hall and this family continued to occupy the Hall for a number number of decades.

Perfection Series Postcard of Tattenhall Hall and Mill Pond

 

‘Cascade’ with Hall in background (click on image to enlarge)

Front of the Hall with some formal hedging and planting

When the Barbour family purchased the Freehold Estate of 2,321 acres of fine land (now known as ‘Bolesworth Estate’) together with the Manors or Reputed Manors of Harthill, Chowley, Tattenhall and Burwardsley (and associated townships) at auction on 23 October 1856, ‘Tattenhall Hall’ was listed as follows:

‘This House is very large and substantially built in the Elizabethan style, with large windows and heavy stone mullions. It is roofed with slates and contains some large rooms. The farm buildings comprise Cow-houses for 48 cows, Wainhouse, Stable for 4 horses, Barn with threshing floor and three bays. Hay Bays and Cart Stable, Dove Cot or Pigeon–house and ranges of Pigs’ Cots and other outbuildings. There is also a brick-built and slated Corn Mill, the water-wheel of wood, and drives three pairs of stones. Great alterations have been made in the fences upon this farm and much of the land has been thoroughly drained; many of the fields have been manured with bones and some have been sub-soiled’.

The ‘Names of the Pieces’ (which in total comprised over 321 acres) and their ‘State of Cultivation’ were listed as follows:

Late Flacker* Field and others – Grass

Kinsey’s Moor, next the Mill – Arable

House, Garden, Fold, Yard, Outbuildings, etc. – Garden, etc.

Croft – Arable

Road from Fold Yard, etc. – Road

Far Part of the Wicket – Arable

Near Part of the Wicket – Arable

Birch Tree Bank – Grass

Mill Pond, Mill and Road adjoining – Water

Flacker Field Bottom – Grass

Little Meadow – Grass

Big Field – Grass

Town Field – Grass

China Meadow and Long Meadow – Grass

Bream Pit Field and parts of others – Arable

Lower Rough Hey – Grass

Allery Field – Arable

Brick-kiln Croft and others – Grass

Late part of Gorsty Croft – Grass

Little and Big Old Fields – Grass

Long Meadow – Grass

Long Field  – Grass

Barrow’s Faugh – Grass

Pingle – Grass

Black Field – Arable

Shoelack Piece and others – Arable

Higher Rough Hey – Grass

Part of the Five Acres – Arable

The Six Acres – Arable

Thistley Field – Grass

*Flacker correctly spelt – now spelt as ‘Flacca’

A series of maps below indicate the changing nature of the landscape adjacent to the Hall.

Map 1. (note Primitive Methodist Chapel, Congregational Chapel, British School for Boys and Girls, Tattenhall Hall, Mill Pond, Boat House and ‘Fountains’, Tattenhall Mill for flour, Smithy and Gas Works) 

Map 2. (note Chapel, Pump, Smithy, Gas Works, Tattenhall Mill for Corn, Tattenhall Hall and Mill Pond) 

Map 3. (Tithe Map indicating the Hall and Mill Pond)

 

 

Next page

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments are closed.